Drag Shows, Leather and Levi’s, and Women Nights
edb3_16 / Getty Images
Friendly, imaginative, and gay-welcoming Providence is just one of the great success tales among commercial Eastern U.S. metropolitan areas. Simply an hour or so south of Boston, Rhode Island’s relatively little capital nevertheless manages to own an important LGBTQ population вЂ” mostly hailing from Brown University, Johnson & Wales University, and Providence College вЂ” which includes lent it self to a fairly robust nightlife scene that is gay.
Along with its number of homosexual (and lesbian) bars, Providence can be house to New England’s only two homosexual bathhouses: Club Body Center and Mega-Plex. The nightlife is mainly focused when you look at the downtown area, so tourists need maybe perhaps perhaps not endeavor past an acceptable limit from their rooms in hotels.
Possibly this has one thing related to its young demographic, but Providence’s club scene is hip and lively sufficient to rival Brooklyletter’s. Many places are gay-friendly, however a couple of cater especially to your LGBTQ community.
- Providence Eagle: providing up to a mostly male, 30s-to-50s audience, Providence Eagle is a well liked hangout among dudes who will be into fabric, uniforms, bears, Levi’s, and stuff like that. It really is one of several most useful downtown pubs for cruising, with nightly themes that recommend an enjoyable, sexually-charged vibe: “Promiscuous Mondays” and cruise-and-jockstrap events on Fridays, for example. There isn’t any dress that is formal and leather-based is through no means anticipated. You’ll easily fit into fine jeans that are wearing a T-shirt. Be warned prior to going that the video clip monitors frequently reveal adult films.
- The Stable: This inviting, convivial downtown homosexual club is good for delighted hour, pre-dance-club socializing, late-night hobnobbing, and conversation вЂ” although it may get loud and crowded on weekends. The group is very blended, however with a more youthful bent. Snazzy cocktails give it a far more cosmopolitan flair than other people in your community, but though it could be advanced, it is simply as friendly together with products are fairly priced.
- Alley Cat: It really is crowded, but that is the thing that makes this cozy small bar so fun. Its not enough area definitely does not stop it from hosting regular trivia and “PIXXtionary” (an R-rated undertake the family-friendly game) events.
For the tiny town, Providence has an extraordinary quantity of designated homosexual groups (significantly more than homosexual pubs, in reality). Therefore, once you complete your alcohol at Providence Eagle, your cocktail at The Stable, or your round of trivia at Alley Cat, hit these occurring groups for a nights riotous dance.
- Dark Lady: in the heart of downtown, a brief stroll from many of Providence’s many prominent hotels, is just one of the top party groups for homosexual males and lesbians in your community. Drag queens and go-go dancers would be the normal clientele at this disco ball-clad club (Alley Cat’s older sis), which hosts regular karaoke, programs, DJ functions, retro dances, and much more.
- Mirabar: a number of homosexual groups have actually come and gone in Providence through the years, but Mirabar happens to be bumping and grinding for a long time. Even though it has switched venues, this hasn’t kept the Jewelry District, nearby the campus of Johnson & Wales University, where it really is a longtime basic. Mirabar continues to be a popular hangout that is gay dancing, cruising, and enjoying many different theme nights (karaoke, drag shows, body competitions, and stuff like that).
- EGO: This two-story hangout is obviously high power and child, does it pour a powerful beverage. Revelers love to dance regarding the phase whenever no body’s performing despite the fact that there is lots of space on the floor. Celebrity Re Re Re Re Search Thursdays are EGO’s regular drag show, where queens are crowned on the basis of the market’s roar.
- The Salon: This party club is appropriate by the Haven that is historic brothers which means you never need to get far for a 2 a.m. bite. It is a right location, by itself, but it is exceedingly LGBTQ-friendly. It is also a really popular location for dance, comedy programs, little concerts, along with other activities, some with direct ties to your community (such as for instance periodic homosexual speed-dating). While dancing and shows simply simply take put on the floor floor, there’s an even more bar that is casual picnic tables upstairs.
The gayest diner in the city, DownCity (in which the hostesses dressed up in drag), has closed, making Providence’s gay-specific scene that is culinary bit lacking. But, the LGBTQ community does appear to prefer a couple of unique restaurants.
- AS220: section of an eclectic, thriving, multifaceted arts room in the center of downtown, the club at AS220 is a gathering that is popular on the list of town’s innovative spirits and open-minded souls. It acts inventive and lunches which can be reasonably-priced dinners and it is open for locally-sourced alcohol, wine, and spirits each night (except Sunday and Monday) until 10 p.m.
- Viva Mexico Cantina & Grill: Gay revelers going out in the Stable next home make up an element of the regular audience at Viva Mexico Cantina & Grill, a Mexican eatery serving up mean sangria, margaritas, and an excellent (albeit tiny) collection of tequila shots. The foodstuff right right right here ventures out of the typical Americanized criteria with additional authentic fare like sauteed beef tongue and shredded goat meat, however you’ll find all of the familiar fajitas and tacos, too.
Events & Festivals
You likely will find gay-themed activities in Providence’s pubs and groups through your regular weekend romps, but also for one thing a lot more celebratory, participate in on a single among these yearly LGBTQ festivals.